About the Award
Eco-warrior Award is a Kenyan Tourism Award that recognises and celebrates outstanding contribution to ecotourism practice in Kenya. It is aimed at motivating winning ventures/ operations and industry at large to embrace practices that are ecologically and ethically sustainable in order to compete with the best in the world. The overall goal is to transform destination Kenya to a sustainable tourism destination.
Recognise efforts, achievement, and exceptional innovations that enhance social-cultural, economic, and ecological sustainability. Winner
Being a winner of Eco-warrior Award means:
- Positively working towards being sustainable through having policies, investing in policies, compliance with legislation, partnerships, documenting, sharing and innovation
- Working constructively with communities to minimize negative social impacts of tourism
- Working with communities to optimize opportunities provided by tourism
- Commitment to best practices in energy, water and waste management
Award Benefits / Promotion
Ecotourism Kenya and her partners recognise winners of the Award through extensive publicity and promotion. In addition, winners are allowed to use the Award logo indefinitely since it has the year of recognition inscribed on it.
Scope of the Award
The award is open to Kenyan based operations only. Applicants do not have to be members of Ecotourism Kenya
The Award strives to ensure fairness and throughout the award process by ensuing the following:
- Open call for applications
- Well-defined application and judging process
- Accurate and timely communication
- Accessible and available award information
- Credible and accountable judging process
- Meticulous choice of judges
- Evaluates practice/ action and impact
Applying for the Award is free. However, non-members who make it to the Award long list will have to pay membership fee to be considered for final evaluation.
Award takes place once a year in the third quarter. Calls for application are made via Ecotourism Kenya Website and other media.
The Award accepts sponsorship from tourism and tourism related businesses & organisations/ service provides, from both private and public sector. However, sponsorship is vetted to minimise chances of ‘conflict of interest. The sponsorship is used for finance the award event, raise funds for Ecotourism Kenya, and encourage event participants to sample Kenya’s tourism through raffle prizes.
Award Evaluation and Judging
Applications are evaluated against a set of primary and specific criteria. The criteria are approved ahead of announcement of call for applications.
Award evaluation takes place at 4 levels:
- Level 1-(Technical Evaluation/ Long List)- This is done at secretariat where officers check that applicants have complied with technical requirements like completing all questions, being Kenyan-based operation, attaching requested documents, staying within word limits, having references etc. The Long List is announced.
- Level 2- (Finalist/ Short List) - This is done by judges who independently review applications. The judges then meet under the guidance of Chief Judge to discuss their evaluations. The top 3 from each Award category are announced as finalists.
- Level 3 – (Winners) – The Chief Judge and judges not involved in Long-listing & Final List, review the Finalist-List and come up with winners OR assessors are sent to the field for on-site evaluation of the Finalist, then judges review their reports and identify winners.
- Level 4 – Winners are announced at Eco-Warrior Award ceremony and recognized via a trophy
Step- 1: Call for applications by Ecotourism Kenya.
Step – 2: Prospective applicants submit their applications within the stipulated timeframe (31st July)
Step – 3: Announcement of judges
Step – 4: Ecotourism Kenya, working with judges announces the short list (--30-- days) after close of applications)
Step – 5:On-site evaluation for short-listed applicants
Step – 6: Announcement of winners at Award Gala Dinner
Guidelines for Presenting Award Application
All applications shall be presented in soft copies using the award application tool
Attachments shall be sent as PDFs and Zipped into one file. Only requested attachments should be sent with applications.
©2015 Eco Warrior Award | Ecotourism Kenya | KATO Place|Longonot Road, Upper Hill P. O Box 10146 00100 Nairobi| Tel 020 2724403, 0726 366080,
Email:firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com | Website www.ecotourismkenya.org
For more details,click here http://www.ecotourismkenya.org/award