Ecotourism Kenya will hold its 10th Edition of the Eco-Warriors Award Ceremony Gala Night on Friday 16th October 2015.
Eco-warrior Award is a Kenyan Tourism Award that recognizes and celebrates outstanding contribution to ecotourism practice in Kenya. It is aimed at motivating winning ventures/ operations and industry at large to embrace practices that are ecologically and ethically sustainable in order to compete with the best in the world.
Therefore, the aim of the Award is to transform Kenya into a sustainable tourism Destination. It will recognize efforts, achievement, and exceptional innovations that enhance social-cultural, economic, and ecological sustainability.
Being a winner of Eco warrior Award means:
- Positively working towards being sustainable through having policies, investing in policies, compliance with legislation, partnerships, documenting, sharing and innovation
- Working constructively with communities to minimize negative social impacts of tourism
- Working with communities to optimize opportunities provided by tourism
- Commitment to best practices in energy, water and waste management
Being an awarded winner means the use of the award logo indefinitely since it has the year of recognition inscribed on the trophy.
The general criteria are given for each category below. Potential nominees for each category must demonstrate clearly elements of responsible, respectful and sustainable tourism.
Which Eco-Warrior are you?
This is your chance to get recognized as a responsible and Sustainable tourism enterprise!
The Eco-Warrior award categories include:
- Conservancy of the Year: It should be recognized by Kenya Wildlife Association of Conservancies (KWCA). It also should demonstrate impact to community, wildlife or tourism partnerssince its inception. This category has two awards
a. Private conservancy (for privately owned conservancies)
b. Community conservancy (community-owned nature conservancies)
- Eco rated Facility of the Year:It should be as described in East Africa Hotel Grading criteria, Meet EK criteria for eco-rating, Must be eco-rated, must have a sustainability policy or strategy (show clear process how strategy was developed and how it is implemented) and have on-going social and environmental programs, which are part of strategy. The programs should be relevant to / or addressing issues in destination where they operate.
This category has 4 awards as follows:
- Tented Camp
- Hotel/serviced apartment
- Community Owned Enterprise of the year: Should be a member of Community Based Tourism Organization ( FECTO) and must be registered as tourism business.
- Travel/ Tour Operator of the year: Must be a member of either KATO or KATA offering travel and tour services in Kenya, having a strategy incorporating sustainability practices is an added value, should have a CSR strategy.
- Airline of the year: Should be a member of KAAO, should have a CSR strategy or policy and should support sustainable tourism through partnerships, membership, communication or packages.
- Blogger of the year: Travel writer who has highlighted innovation and best practices in sustainable tourism or created awareness on unique products/ services or covered tourism events with a view to show significance of sector.
- Training Institution Award: The training institution must be offering Tourism Studies and through collaborations the Institution has introduced programs, approaches, or projects that aim at building appreciation for sustainability or green development.
How to Participate
Step 1: Nomination
The award is open to Kenyan operations only. Applicants do not have to be members of Ecotourism Kenya. The application of the Award is free, however non-members who make it to the long list will have to pay membership fee to be considered for final evaluation.
Self-nominationsare accepted. The nomination form is available at the Ecotourism Kenya offices or can be downloaded from the website www.ecotourismkenya.org
Step 2: Application
All nominations must be submitted through a filled in nomination form, with a written confirmation and acceptance of the nominee, to Ecotourism Kenya via Dropbox to email@example.com before Friday 31st July, 2015.
All applications shall be presented in soft copies using the award application tool. Attachments shall be sent as PDFs and Zipped into one file. Only requested attachments should be sent with applications.
Once submitted, applicants consents text, photos, links, and references for any advertising, promotions, or publicity purposes, Ecotourism Kenya reckons to be proper but should be in line with the award.
Ecotourism Kenya working with judges announces the short list 30 days after close of applications.
Step 3: Award Evaluation and Judging
Applications are evaluated against a set of primary and specific criteria. The criteria are approved ahead of announcement of call for applications.
Award evaluation takes place at 4 levels:
- Level 1-(Technical Evaluation/ Long List)- This is done at secretariat where officers check that applicants have complied with technical requirements like completing all questions, being Kenyan-based operation, attaching requested documents, staying within word limits, having references etc. The Long List is announced.
- Level 2- (Finalist/ Short List) - This is done by judges who independently review applications. The top 3 from each Award category are announced as finalists.
- Level 3 – (Winners) – The Chief Judge and judges not involved in Long-listing & Final List, review the Finalist-List and come up with winners.
- Level 4 – Winners are announced at Eco-Warrior Award ceremony and recognized via a trophy or certificate.
Step 4: The Nominees
The nominees list will be published on the Ecotourism Kenya website, Naturals magazine and the monthly e-shots. The winners are announced during the Gala Dinner ceremony
Keep watch for more updates
Telephone: 020 257 4059
Mobile Number: 0726 366 080