|What We Do|
Ecotourism Kenya promotes responsible tourism practices within the tourism industry. This entails encouraging the adoption of best practices in the use of tourism resources, working with local communities and managing wastes and emissions.
According to The International Ecotourism Society, ecotourism is defined as "responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment, sustains the well-being of the local people, and involves interpretation and education" (TIES, 2015). ... Read More on Ecotourism
Formulation of an environmental policy
The Ecotourism Kenya Certification Scheme has a set standard on environmental policy that emphasizes on;
- Clear written sustainability/environmental policy
- Show responsive and conclusive address to responsible resource use, environmental conservation, cultural issues, socio-economic investment, health & safety and quality issues
- Evidence of proper communication, translation/implementation of policies into action
- Evidence of an Environmental Management System appropriate to nature, scale and scope of the business, and current Environmental Management Plan with clarity and specificity of plan (goals, targets, etc.) and execution (allocation of responsibility, clear timeframes etc.)
- The guidelines in formulation of an environmental policy are borrowed from constitutional and legal requirements of rights and freedoms as well as environmental protection. They include;
Every person in Kenya has a right to a clean and healthy environment and a duty to safeguard and enhance the environment.
The right to development should be exercised taking into consideration the economic, social and environmental needs.
It’s smart to be responsible!
This is an agro-tourism community development project located in the heart of Chogoria, Meru south. The project was introduced in 2006 but officially opened in 2010.Kilimo Talii has got modern Facilities and also offers a number of packages.
Kilimo Talii has got 7 cottages that enable a tourist or visitor to relax after experiencing Agro-tourism.
The enterprise al ..Read More
Ecotourism Kenya manages a certification scheme for tourism accommodation facilities based on environmental and social criteria.
|There are 31 establishments that have been awarded Gold Certification...View List||There are 57 establishments that have been awarded Silver Certification...View List||There are 23 establishments that have been awarded Bronze Certification...View List|
|Featured Eco-Rated Facility|
Elephant Pepper Camp
Elephant Pepper Camp is located within the Masai Mara ecosystem in Mara North Conservancy on global positioning system (GPS) latitude 36M 0737128 and longitude UTM 9867417. The camp was established in 2005 owned and managed by the Elewana Collection. It has nine (9) guest tents with a total bed capacity of eighteen (18) guests. The facility has a total work force of 27 permanent employees for its ..Read More
|SUPPORT SUSTAINABLE TOURISM|
According to leading global web analytics websites, ecotourismkenya.org had 1,852,040 hits in the last 3 months. We have over 200 affiliate websites linking in. You could be the facility that tourists are looking to find. Advertise Now!